Step 1: Failure. Step 304: Success

Every objective has a deadline. “Deadline”. Sounds scary, right? The word “dead” is literally incorporated into the phrase, giving quite an intimidating title. I hate that phrase, and you should too. I am currently writing this on May 6th, 8:58 pm. This deadline in particular is on Friday of next week, May 15th. So basically, if you’ve done the math right, I have only 9 days to complete my instrument, with many other things on my schedule. (You observers never really get a glimpse of our personal lives). Keep in mind that the blueprint I mentioned in my last post was just an alpha. I have other things to take account for, including cutting devices and welding the aluminum frame.

I am informing you of this, dear observer, so that if you’re expecting great things from me, I can humbly remind you to lower your expectations. A full instrument complete with pipes, paddles, an aluminum frame, and rolling wheels simply takes more than nine days. Keep in mind that I will only have about six of those twenty-four hours per day on average. Now if you’ve did that math, you would yield 54. 54 is the number of hours I will have to complete this project, which means I’d have 2 full days and 6 extra hours (if I were to compile the time into frames of 24 hours). That’s right, folks. This “nine day” project is now a “two day” project.

Here’s the (biggest) issue: a PVC pipe instrument is probably the simplest instrument to make, but still requires oceans of focus and dedication. I do not want to sell myself short by using cheaper materials that don’t require as much attention, because the dedication would be greatly diminished. My dilemma is as follows: I either make a cup with rubber bands, or an incomplete PVC pipe-o-phone.

Never the matter, I’ve changed the blueprint and the materials required. My PVC pipes are now 3 inches in diameter and I will in fact be using plywood to bind it all together.


FLASH FORWARD–3 days in the future! I’m building the instrument as we speak. Acquiring the parts was incredibly frustrating. Also, the cost doubled. Instead of an all-plywood frame, I built a plywood frame and used galvanized steel to hold the rest together. Slicing the pipes was not difficult, (other than the noxious fumes that it produced). My “final” blueprint did not work out as planned either. I was not aware that the diameter of the pipes was measured based on the interior of the pipes. Because of this mistake, the pipes were to wide to line up against the support beam of the instrument. Never to worry; I ran out of pipe too. My originally intended full C scale was cut short by two notes, due to the addition of minimal cutting flaws. Consequently, my scale only goes up to A# from C.

Most of the struggle here would have been avoided if I’d given myself more time to start this project. Unfortunately, due to personal impediments, I was not able to start when it was first assigned. I am confident, however, in completing this by tomorrow morning. Stay tuned, munchkins.

here's me next to the cart:D

here’s me next to the cart:D





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s