“Soil is a Fundamental Resource”

“Symphony of the Soil,” is a very interesting and learning packed video, that would keep one entertained. You learn numerous amount of information about soil such as: what kind of soil is the most productive, what is the key to having great soil, and so many other fascinating information. I learned that prairie soil is actually the most productive type of environment for soil overall. That is because the soil has really good structure and it is able to store water efficiently. One would learn from that video that nitrogen is the key to having great soil.

One would also learn very sad information such as: 70% of the Earth’s freshwater is used for agriculture, 1/3 of the Earth’s land is arable, and that 1.1 billion amounts of pesticides are used every year.  With 70% of our freshwater being used towards agriculture, it only leaves us with 30%! There needs to be a way to reduce the amount of water used for agriculture or eventually as more and more farms are being created the amount of fresh water would increase. The word “arable” means not being able to grow or maintain plants. That is due to the eroded soil. One amazing fact is that it takes 1700 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of ethanol.

In conclusion, in this video you will learn so much. It is very educational with a few laughs. If you have no idea what soil actually is…then this is the video for you. It explains things in simple terms, that anyone could understand and enjoy. I would say that the only improvement for this video is that there should be more interesting information and not so many different interviews because the interviews became boring after a while, since few of the interviewed people were not very enthusiastic. But overall it’s a great video that will improve your knowledge about soil like nothing else.SOIL BOII

http://www.bigskyco2.org/whatisit/terrestrial

Here you can see a side view of implanted grass into soil. You can see the roots extending downward.

Advertisements

One thought on ““Soil is a Fundamental Resource”

  1. Jordan – you include lots of great statistics! However, your information is more like a list. What is the main theme of the video? Be more careful in your writing – read it over before you publish to make sure you have not made any mistakes – for example “There needs to be a way to reduce the amount of water used for agriculture or eventually as more and more farms are being created the amount of fresh water would increase. ” – here you have said that the amount of fresh water would increase with more farming. The sentence does not make sense. Also be careful with your vocabulary – arable actually means that the land is capable of supporting agriculture. You have written the opposite. WHen you give your opinon always provide example or detail – what provides a few laughs? HOw does your image relate to what you have written? Re-submission is permitted – just let me know if you have re-submitted.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s